What we do
The Regulatory Centre for Irish Sign Language Interpreters Ireland CLG has been established for the purpose of maintaining the Register of Irish Sign Language Interpreters (RISLI), a voluntary, national, professional register.
The registration system is referenced in the 2017 Irish Sign Language Act (referred to as an ‘accreditation scheme’) and the National Disability Inclusion Strategy 2017 – 2021.
- Establish and maintain a standards-based registration system for Irish Sign Language Interpreters to ensure protection primarily for the Deaf community and service providers.
- Set the standards for the provision of Irish Sign Language interpreting that all public bodies require.
- Support public bodies through access to a public register of interpreters.
- Support professional Irish Sign Language interpreters to meet and maintain standards.
- Promote social inclusion of Irish Sign Language users by supporting the use of registered interpreters including access to public bodies.
- Social inclusion and access for Deaf sign language users
- Quality within sign language interpreting
- Availability of sign language interpreting in Ireland
- Support for service providers, particularly public services to facilitate the use of sign language interpreting services
- Promote the integrity of ISL interpreting in the public interest.
The register promotes best practice, setting principles drawing on national and international standards for Sign Language Interpreting. Register principles are:
- Balance: actions will be appropriate to the risks posed and costs identified
- Accountable: operations are based on rational and sound decisions
- Fair: rules and standards will be implemented fairly
- Focus: regulation will focus on the problem and minimise side effects
- Agile: endeavour to anticipate and adapt to change as required
- Transparent: regulations and processes will be open and user friendly
- Embedded: account will be taken of Irish context, the Irish Deaf community, and stakeholders
The operations of the Registration System will be based on some or all of the following documents:
- Register Structure and Governance
- Registration Panel – Membership and Operation
- Registration Panel – Code of Conduct
- Registration Process
- Code of Conduct
- Garda Vetting – Policy and Guidelines
- CPD and Mentoring Policy
- Complaints Committee – Membership and Operations
- Appeals Committee – Membership and Operations
- Complaints and Mediation Processes paper
- Appeals Processes
- Panel of Assessors
- Skills Checks – Operations
The contents of the governing documents may be amended, or new documents added, from time to time.